Fire safety and electrical items.

Natalie Sieberichs Uncategorized Leave a Comment

Full article with thanks to https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/electrical-items/

From white goods to faulty chargers, electrical items are the number 4 fire risk in the home. How to be fire safe and electricity smart…  

Avoiding electrical fires – how to keep safe at home

From overloaded extension leads and cheap chargers, through to white goods not fit for the job, issues with electrical items are a common cause of fire. So how can you reduce fire risks and keep yourself and your family safe? 

10 must-knows for electrical device safety 

  1. Always make sure electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them.
  2. Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order.
  3. Don’t buy cheap counterfeit chargers for items that use lithium batteries, and never leave phones or laptops plugged in to charge overnight – learn more about charger safety here.
  4. Empty fluff regularly from tumble dryers in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.
  5. Hair straighteners can get extremely hot – always switch them off and leave them to cool on a heatproof surface.
  6. Try to keep to one plug per socket, especially for high powered appliances like washing machines.
  7. Always check that you’re using the right fuse – if you’re confused, check out our guide to fuses.  
  8. Be lead safety savvy – cable drum extension leads should always be completely unwound to avoid overheating, and be careful not to overload extension leads.
  9. Register your white goods – it could save your life if a product is recalled for safety reasons. 
  10. Share your fire safety knowledge with the whole family – check the kids’ chargers, and make sure everyone knows how to use electric blankets safely

What about your home’s electrics? 

Whether you own or rent your home, it’s important to know the signs of a potential electrical problem. Look out for scorch marks, flickering lights, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reason. These could all be signs of loose or dangerous wiring. If in doubt get them checked by a qualified electrician – you are within your rights to ask this of your landlord if you are a tenant. 

Full article with thanks to https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/electrical-items/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *